Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Getting to good (when starting isn't a problem)

I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted the scarf to be like.

Debating between two patterns, I actually did the "good knitter" thing, and cast on samples of each.

My first was the one row handspun scarf pattern. With this "swatch", I am immoderately pleased, as I actually cast on enough stitches that the width was appropriate for a dishcloth (42 was, of course, the answer).

The swatch that is a dishcloth

I next cast on an actual swatch (11 stitches) to test out a mistake rib pattern.

The swatch that is a swatch

The one-row handspun pattern was the clear winner (in person, the columns of knit stitches are much easier to see). So I cast on 42 stitches in my scarf yarn.

No go - the colours of the yarn hid the knit columns too well. It was frogged. I retried with the mistake rib and 43 stitches (multiple of 4 +3). Not quite wide enough. It was frogged.

3rd try (charming, right?). 52 stitches, mistake rib, deep breaths. Finally it's looking right.

This is how I think knitting is supposed to work, often. 2 test swatches, 2 false starts, but finally an inch of progress on a scarf that looks promising. (Raveled.)

Beginning a scarf

I have a major paper due this week, and the last thing I want is a lesson of this kind. Too late, I guess.

(Apologies for crap lighting on photos - it was late when I finished my learning).

1 comment:

Dafeal said...

Can't wait to see the finished scarf!