Sunday, January 30, 2011

Paper Letters

Letters-in-progress

One of my goals for this year was to send letters, send cards. And I wasn't doing so well. Maybe I sent a couple, but it was nothing to keep the postal service busy.

Then, suddenly, the new year arrived, bringing with it this resolve. I wanted to do the things that I valued, the things I seemed to have been forgetting as I worked to set up a new life, once again.

And with that has come the letter-writing.

Nothing major, you understand. I send a page or so of my thoughts, written down. Small missives (or missiles? I thought so for a moment), to someone far away.

For inspiration, I've been turning to a couple of online sources: The Post-A-Letter Social Activity Club (if you're lucky enough to live in Toronto or Montreal, this looks fantastic) and Send More Mail.

Even my fiction has been epistolary this week. I found The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society in the sale section of my favourite bookshop, and read it through this weekend (another new ritual is Sunday mornings that are all my own).

It was the perfect book for today, for this week. I am so glad I thought to slip it into the pile with the magazines I had gone to purchase.

Lovely Book

2 comments:

Carolyn V said...

I was one of those lucky souls that received mail from you. How wonderful! How special and rare it is to receive a physical letter these days... Thank you Hayden!! You made me feel special and, well, though of... I would like to pass that feeling on, so I am going to join you in the endeavor. Ready or not, world, here it comes!! Carolyn :)

hayden said...

Hi C.
I'm so glad you liked the letter! And you should definitely send some - the world could use more Carolyn!