Thursday, July 08, 2010

Biting it big time

I fell the crap off my bike this morning. One minute I'm braking, and the next I'm slipsliding across the ground. I don't really know why it happened. Maybe there was gravel - the 'official story' - which has always caused me issues, I *hate* gravel. Maybe it was this new bike I got, which doesn't fit the way the lovely lovely cruiser did - this one's faster, and gearier, and just generally an adjustment. Maybe it was my tired muscles; this is my third day straight of bicycle commuting after a couple of months' hiatus (mostly accidental).
Only about 5 minutes from home, I thought seriously about turning around right there, and pouting home to telecommute or bus, but instead I took a deep breath, checked the bike quickly, adjusted the chain, and was off. Now I have bruises blooming, a little road rash on my leg, and a scraped elbow, but my bike and I are mostly friendly again. That part, the get-up-and-try-again part doesn't come at all easily for me. But bikes and I have always made it up, I don't resent them too long, and they provide such joy, it's ultimately easy to hop on and go again.
Bike month is over, but it's definitely not too late to try bicycle commuting. Take sunscreen, and lots of water, go slow, and track your mileage at No Waste Wednesdays - they're having a contest!

1 comment:

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

There is always spinning class at the gym. It's a safer, and sterile, and kindda boring except not really because you get a good workout.