Thursday, May 04, 2006

Baking eggs

A couple days ago I had the most confusing conversation with a coworker about eggs. I had run out of this most essential staple, and was running to the grocery store to pick some up. "Because I want to bake" I told her. "You want to bake eggs?!" "I want to bake cookies." "Oh, right."
At the time I wasn't really thinking about the kind of cookie I was planning for, which turned out to be a bonus because trying to explain that they do look rather like eggs would have added a level of confusion to my day that I am generally unprepared to deal with.
The egg-cookies were put on hold for 24 hours in any case as I am currently without microwave, and therefore lack a 30 second method of achieving softened butter. The truth is I love the little ritual of pulling out a bit of butter in the a.m. and knowing it'll be yummy baked goods by that night. It's a small promise to myself. The lighter one had jam added before baking
But they finally emerged this morning, warm and lemon-scented, from the oven. Being a kid who likes to follow the pattern, I stuck pretty closely to the recipe, with one small exception. The lemon curd is meant to be dolloped on after baking, while the cookies are still warm. I took the obvious step of baking some with curd already added, in deference to the jam-jam, a cookie loved by my mother (in honor of whom this whole experiment was originally undertaken). I have a definite preference for the gently baked jam, especially if you're gulping the cookies down still warm, standing by the oven.

No comments: